This article lists everything that is known about Starbound so far, collected from official sources and developer statements.
Feel free to add anything that you've unearthed, but please cite your sources! Unsourced claims may be challenged or removed.
Release & distribution Edit
- Starbound is set to be released at some point in 2013.
- Starbound is written in C++ and will run natively on the three major platforms: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
- It will likely release on Steam, taking advantage of Steamworks features. The distribution method for Linux will most likely be the steam linux client.
- A beta is planned, but specifics are not pinned down yet.
- Starbound will feature multiplayer, both cooperative and PVP.
- The entire game can be experienced with other players.
- Difficulty will scale to the number of players.
- Servers can be configured to allow pre-existing characters to join, or force players to start a new one.
Gameplay & controls Edit
- Money (currency: Pixels) will play a huge role in Starbound.
- The penalty for dying is a monetary loss of some, but not all, pixels.
- An optional food/hunger meter.
- Combat in Starbound will be tactical, relying on teamwork movement.
- There will be a shield/blocking mechanic.
- Being hit while blocking causes a bit of damage that can be recovered unless you are hit.
- Attacking after blocking a few attacks causes a stronger counter-attack.
- Projectile Weapons will be customizable.
- Rarity will affect what kind of mods you can add.
- Some mods are only available for the rare weapons.
- 10 tiers of armor 
- every race has their own armor per tier (60 altogethet)
- armor is found in chest and drops by NPCs
- races can share armors
- You can set up campfire where you can cook something. (bacon) 
- Crop farming
- Need to plant seeds. 
Not in the game Edit
These features have explicitly been confirmed as not being in the game.
- Tools breaking. (Things such as pickaxes can become blunt, though.)
- Microtransactions (ie, a Cash Shop).
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 FAQ on the official site
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Condensed chat log of Q&A session #1
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Condensed chat log of Q&A session #2
- ↑ Dev blog: Combat Part 1: Shields
- ↑ Tiy reveals information about armor. 'General Discussion Dec 9. 2012
- ↑ tiyuri's Video: 15:25-15:50
- ↑ tiyuri's Twitter picture 12. Dec. 29.